The one day training course will provide participants with an introduction to the key aspects of Urban GI and an understanding of the important role it plays in delivering Ecosystem Services. An overview of the different GI features – green roofs, green walls, rain gardens, trees and landscape planting etc. will be provided.
This course will draw on the ‘Greening the BIDS’ project in order to provide a framework on how to assess a site’s potential for GI (both new and retrofit). The practicalities of delivering GI measures will also be discussed, including the role of the ecologist and specialists/contractors. Best practice design guides on habitat creation will be referenced.
The course leader, Gary Grant, will be joined by a representative from Team London Bridge who will talk about GI in their Business Improvement District.
The day will be underpinned by local (London) case studies including a field trip to GI projects in the BID. Delegates will be able to see 5-6 of the following GI measures: green roof, green wall, rain garden, street trees, landscape planting of recognised wildlife value, flower-rich grassland, bespoke invertebrate habitat, pocket park.
Who Should Attend?
Professional and graduate ecologists, but also of relevance to local authority ecologists and planners, architects, landscape architects, environmental and land managers, sustainability officers etc.
No prior knowledge is expected/required, but having a basic understanding of what GI is and the benefits it can deliver will help you get the most out of the course.
- Explain what GI is and the multiple benefits it can deliver.
- List the different GI measures that can be adopted in urban locations and the different roles that each play.
- Understand the components that make up a GI Audit.
- Access further and more detailed sources of information on different GI measures.
- Acknowledge the multi-disciplinary approach needed to effectively deliver GI and understand some of the constraints and opportunities it presents.
Refreshments are provided throughout the day. Please bring your own packed lunch.
Non Member Ticket