Please Note: This course will be delivered to booked delegates remotely via Zoom on 24 March 2-5pm with a second Zoom session on 25 March 2-5pm.
We understand that Natural England is issuing an updated Biodiversity Metric in Spring 2021. Please note that this training is based on the current Biodiversity Metric 2.0
The maximum delegate number for the course remains unchanged in order to ensure value and interactivity and as such if the button below says 'Add name to waiting list' then the course is fully booked.
This course is based on the Biodiversity Metric 2.0, which was published by Natural England in 2019. It provides training on undertaking biodiversity unit calculations for a development and its impacts on biodiversity. It also provides training on utilising biodiversity unit calculations to support designs of Biodiversity Net Gain and on good practice when using Metric 2.0.
Through presentations, case studies and practical exercises, the course covers:
• Calculating biodiversity units of a development’s biodiversity baseline
• Calculating biodiversity units of impacts on biodiversity
• Understanding how biodiversity unit calculations can help to inform application of the mitigation hierarchy
• Using biodiversity units to assess how much habitat is to be created or enhanced to achieve Biodiversity Net Gain
• Understanding good practice for using biodiversity unit calculations
Note: there is overlap between this course and CIEEM’s training course on Designing Biodiversity Net Gain through Development. This course provides training on biodiversity unit calculations only. Whereas the other course provides training on Designing Biodiversity Net Gain for development.
Note: this course does not cover the River element of the Biodiversity Unit Metric V2, as training courses on that element are available by other providers.
Please contact CIEEM for advice or if you wish the discuss the courses further.
Who Should Attend?
Ecological consultants who design or are involved with Biodiversity Net Gain developments.
EIA practitioners, sustainability and environmental managers working on Biodiversity Net Gain developments who wish to expand their technical knowledge of biodiversity unit calculations.
Local authority ecologists and planners reviewing proposals for, or working on, Biodiversity Net Gain developments.
NGOs and land owners / managers who are involved with Biodiversity Net Gain developments and/or proposing and undertaking biodiversity offsets.
Beginner - Intermediate
This course is aimed at individuals with no previous experience in or knowledge of biodiversity unit calculation, as well as individuals with some experience who wish to develop their skills and knowledge in biodiversity unit calculations.
- Undertake biodiversity unit calculations of the baseline of a development site.
- Undertake biodiversity unit calculations of direct impacts on habitats from a development.
- Use biodiversity unit calculations to support the design of Biodiversity Net Gain.
- Understand good practice for using Metric V2.
Non Member Ticket